5.12.2010

Engagement Weekend!

Alan and I just finished our first year of our graduate programs. We thought we would reward ourselves and head to Chicago to relax, shop, and sightsee for a few days before we started summer term. Little did I know, Alan had BIG plans!
We spent Friday walking around the city and taking the train up to Wrigleyville. There we walked down Clark St. looking in shops and enjoying the nice weather. We headed back to the city late afternoon to do some more shopping and met some friends for drinks and dinner at Shenanigans and Carmines, yum! Unbeknownst to me, family had started arriving in Chicago for the surprise. They were actually at the bar right next store to us and I had no idea.
Saturday, we got a later start than planned, but headed to the city to see the aquarium and shop on Michigan Ave. Alan and I walked every square inch of the Shedd Aqarium (my favorite were the whales, dolphins, and penguins!). When we left the aquarium, we started walking through Grant Park but got drenched in a sudden rain storm. We sprinted back to the aquarium to get a cab, which Alan instructed to take us back to our hotel so we could change. Not even two minutes into the drive, Alan tells the driver to pull over and let us out on the side of the road. I had no idea what was going on and frankly, I didn't wanna get out in the cold. Ha!
We had arrived at the Buckingham Fountains, gorgeous! Not a sole was in sight as it had just been pouring rain. We walked to the edge of the fountains admiring the city views behind us, when he took me in his arms and started telling me why he had brought me to the fountains. He expressed his love for me and how he had enjoyed the last year together and that he couldn't wait to spend his life with me. At this point, I was shaking, sobbing, and hyperventilating! So surprised! I couldn't believe it was happening! He got down on his knee and popped the question, slipping the most beautiful ring on my finger. When he stood up, he told me to turn around to find his family running towards us in celebration! I was so happy! A feeling that I don't even know how to convey in words, other than it was PERFECT!
I immediately called my parents, brothers, cousin, friends, everyone and anyone I could think of. I was ecstatic to share the news! And, came to find out, everyone knew! I was the last one to know..ha!
We then headed to the Hancock building where we celebrated with a champagne toast on the 96th floor! Amazing! Alan's dad, girlfriend, brother Ryan and wife Megan, brother Kyle and fiance Ashley, all celebrated with us. After, we headed to Greek town for the most amazing dinner with family and friends!
It was a whirlwind, but so perfect. I couldn't ask for a better man to marry or family to be a member of. I am so grateful and truly happy.
Can't wait to get this planning going and go dress shopping! First though, we need to plan a date! (at least a year away, we wanna finish school first)
Thank you to all our family and friends for your sweet wishes and love. We are so blessed!





1 comment:

  1. Hi Hadley!! I got tingles when I read this post :) Janie Mims gave me the link and as you probably know, Tripp and I are planning a wedding as well!!

    I see you've already been going to Once Wed for ideas... but in case you want some more, weloveindie.com compiles a bunch of DIY and wedding blogs so you don't have to search around for them!! Great inspiration. I hope it helps!! :D

    Also, thank you for sending a list of venues. It will help us during our search!

    ReplyDelete